Our History


Meadowbrook's first iteration

Meadowbrook Country Club is a private golf and country club, rich in tradition, yet proudly posed for the future.  After its humble beginnings in 1944, through insight, perseverance and tragedy, Meadowbrook is emerging as one of the finest clubs in the area.

How it All Began

Meadowbrook’s history dates back to 1943, when The Meadow Brook Club was a public facility owned by the Berberich family and located in Overland, Missouri.  Situated at Lackland and Midland Avenues, the Club had been strategically situated at the end of the street car run from the city of St. Louis. The facilities included a fine golf course, swimming pool and night club, replete with dining facilities. With World War II in full swing, business was understandably off at most clubs.

A group of forward-thinking Washington Avenue manufacturers and Chestnut Street real estate moguls pledged to purchase the Club. In 1944, the group of “founders” expanded, solidifying the purchase of the property for the hefty sum of $175,000.

On May 30, 1944, Meadowbrook Country Club opened its doors with an all-day open house and buffet dinner. In June, on the heels of the Pro From Decree, a membership rally enrolled the Charter Membership of Meadowbrook Country Club. Many sons, daughters and grandchildren of those Charter Members are on our current Membership Roster.

In the first-ever State of the Club report, President Robert Dorfmont asserted that “the Meadowbrook Country Club is now a well-established institution in our communal and civic life. It is the realization, the hope and the ambition of all who recognized the need for another country club in our community to serve as a social meeting ground, --a home, in which to spend our leisure periods with our relatives and friends. This statement could have been repeated by every Club president throughout the years, for it still holds true today.

A Proud Heritage

When World War II ended in 1945, the Membership roster quickly filled. The Club’s tradition for exemplary staff was rooted early in its first manager, Karl Menzel, and first golf professional Dale Morey. Mr. Morey was replaced by Frank Moore, brother of St. Louis Cardinals star center fielder Terry Moore.

The years from 1945 to 1957 were significant growth years for Meadowbrook. That era came to an end on December 12, 1957 when fire destroyed the clubhouse. Dewey Kennon, who served Meadowbrook for thirty-four years and ultimately became its general manager, stepped in as interim manager.  Despite the ravaged clubhouse, Kennon continued the Club’s activities, scheduling indoor programs at hotels around the area, and maintaining outdoor activities on the Meadowbrook grounds.

The insurance settlement and subsequent sale of the Overland property allowed Meadowbrook to purchase 320 acres at Kehrs Mill and Clayton Roads. On March 27th, 1960, Meadowbrook was dedicated at its present location with a formal gala celebration.

From its humble beginnings by a group of visionaries, a solid foundation was established to support a bright future for the generations to come. Meadowbrook continues to this day to enjoy a proud heritage and a highly regarded reputation for fine dining, excellent service and an outstanding golf course.

Meadowbrook Moving Forward

After forty-plus years of providing a quality experience in private parties, Club functions, dining and recreation, it became clear to the Membership of Meadowbrook that our once-modern Club was in need of a major facelift. In 2000, the Club looked at a project of tremendous magnitude. The result of Phase I of Meadowbrook 2000 was a completely renovated championship golf course with continuous concrete cart paths, new drainage system, tee boxes and bunkers and a unified architectural theme, thanks to the renowned architect Keith Foster, who helped in the restoration of Southern Hills, Colonial, Philadelphia Cricket and the “Old White Course” at Greenbriar. The clubhouse received a beautiful new fa├žade and landscaping, fully refurbished formal and informal dining areas, and redesigned and decorated card rooms and common areas.
 
The Club industry is ever-changing and constantly evolving. Even after the completed Meadowbrook 2000 project, Meadowbrook always looked to improve and grow its stance as one of the finest Full-Service Country Clubs in St. Louis. Over the last 12 years, the Club has reinvested 12 million dollars back into the Clubhouse, Golf Course, Golf and Tennis Pro Shops, as well as numerous Membership enhancements. Phase II of our planning, as set forth by the Committees and Members of the Club, will help us advance further in providing only the best for our Members and their Guests.